Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Rest

We are coming up for air...finally. One thing I have always said about having sick children....it causes you to slow down and brings everything into focus . Having sick kiddos has a way of revealing in full color what is priority and should be most important. I tend to say "yes" too many times especially when it comes to helping out at the kids school. I LOVE be involved in the things going on at their school. This helps because I know their teachers better and am more aware of what is going on both academically and socially with them. But the downfall is a plate that is often overflowing. This becomes so evident when juggling sick children along with the other things I have committed myself to.

Truth be known...it can get overwhelming.

Ahhh...does it seem I am leaving someone out? God. Every single time I become "overwhelmed", "stressed", "stretched way to thin" and "snippy" I am not resting in God. I am relying on my own devices to manage.

And that my friends never, ever works out well. All that ever happens is I get myself into a big tangled mess with no direction.

As part of a challenge until the end of the year, a group of women from my church are participating in memorizing scripture. Today is the first day to let everyone know what verse we have been memorizing. At first I thought "oh boy that will just be one more thing for me to have to keep up with" but last week while waiting in the doctor office (for the third time!) with Peyton I felt the Lord telling me to look up a verse in Matthew. I have prayed and committed this verse to memory over the past week.

Repeating these words have helped reign me in and keep me anchored in truth in the midst of the past weeks chaos. Something we can all find comfort in...rest in the Lord. Thank you Father for ordering all my steps and for keeping me anchored in truth.

"Come to Me all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in the heart, and you will find rest in your souls. For My yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11: 28-30 (NKJV)

1 comment:

The Peterson's said...

Interesting that God seems to have plopped us in exactly the same spot. A week and a half ago 3 of our 5 family members had the real flu. It was a super flu too and was brutal. Couldn't do anything. As we appraoch lent and prepare our hearts to join Jesus in the wilderness the thing that God has impressed upon me is that I must learn to "rest in his love." Gonna be a powerful journey I think, cause it's not that easy for me.
~Amy